Friday, May 25, 2012

Parenting Is Not For The Faint Hearted!

My number one goal when addressing issues is to look at the heart and the intentions. I can spank my children, put them in time outs, ground them, yell at them (I'm not promoting this, in fact I can't stand when I do this), or give them positive reinforcements and none of it will make a difference if I don't address the Heart and intentions. My kids are tough. I've seen them play harder than an effective spanking, out will my time outs and groundings, and enjoy positive rewards but still not be able to control them self. I've got to look at their hearts and intentions to crack their shells (or should I say shields).
My four year old acted ugly in children's church and my helper put her in the corner. After being released I asked my four year old if she understood that we must work together and we cannot whine. She (while looking down at the floor) mumbled "Yes, I just didn't want her scribbling on the paper". She was still teary eyed. She didn't want to share a paper with a child that was scribbling. I sent her back to the corner after talking to her firmly about having a bad attitude and needing to be more understanding as well as having a good attitude sometimes, even when we don't like something. She then showed her true colors by bursting out crying again and saying "I just don't want to share with her". I read past her fake apology and could tell by her countenance that she wasn't sorry. She still felt bad for herself and very cheated out of her little paper. The next opportunity she had to get out of the corner, she had a much better attitude and told me that she would be glad to share (with a genuine smile and pep in her step). She no longer pitied herself, but was ready to comply. Heart issues and intentions are the hardest to address but are they are the only ones really worth addressing. Discipline or training without that just stirs up frustration in you and the child. They may budge for now but what's really changed if their heart or intentions are the same as before?
I have three girls. They just turned 12, 9, and 4 years old. The are all very well behaved (most of the time). BUT (Big but and yes I know a sentence shouldn't start with but, but mine do), each one has their own issues, struggles, and moments of terror. We address them as each issue comes along the best I know how. If what I'm doing isn't working, I change what I'm doing with them. That's my job as a parent. To help them become and be great people in their current stage and future. I don't stop and say I've tried everything. I keep going until I've found what works. Parenting is not for the faint of heart.
faint-heart·ed (fnthärtd)
adj.
Deficient in conviction or courage; timid.

faint-hearted·ly adv.
faint-hearted·ness n.

No comments:

Post a Comment